Tips to prevent acne breakouts this holiday season
Extra stress during the holidays—from activities like shopping, social commitments, and traveling—increases cortisol in the body, which can lead to more oil production and, ultimately, a pesky pimple. Try these tips to maintain your health and decrease acne breakouts during this holiday season.
- Sleep schedule, interrupted. Late parties, staying out with family, or last minute shopping could disrupt your normal sleep-wake cycle. Make sure your bedroom is a quiet, dark, and relaxing environment, and try to go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
- Maintain exercise. Don’t let your normal exercise routine fall by the wayside. It’s important to maintain your health by exercising regularly, especially when your stress increases. Yoga, biking, and swimming are great options.
- Take a time-out. Find out what your individual stress trigger is and how to take a “time-out” from the activity. You might need to turn off your phone or close your email to relax.
- Plan and prioritize. Waiting until right before deadlines to finish homework or a work project will cause those stress hormones to rise, so make sure your schedule allows time for all your activities during the holidays—both normal and seasonal.
- Nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Don’t forget your fruits and veggies, whole grains, and protein! Big, full meals are typical during the holiday season, but fast foods and empty-calorie meals cause inflammation and stress in the body.
Source: Crystal Wellman, master aesthetician and owner of Crystal Clear Acne Clinic