Essential oils have been used dating back to the ancient Egyptians, but they have become very popular in recent times. For good reason too, they are useful for many different things.
They have aromatherapy, medicinal, household cleaning benefits, personal beauty care, and many more practical and amazing benefits. Essential oils are not really oils at all; they come from distilling or extracting the different parts of plants including the flowers, leaves, bark, roots, resin, and peels. In Ancient times, Israelites and Egyptians made essential oils by soaking the plants in a carrier oil and them filtering it through a linen bag.
Essential oils hold many benefits like antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anti-inflammatory properties. Get ready because here are 100 ways to use different essential oils!
Essential Oil Uses For Cleaning and Home
- All-purpose cleaner – Add 3 drops of lemon oil and tea tree oil with warm water and spray countertops to disinfect, naturally.
- Natural mosquito repellent – Rub on one drop each of lemongrass oil, citronella oil and eucalyptus oil with 1 tsp of coconut oil to make natural bug spray.
- Sports gear – If your kids play sports add 2 drops of both tea tree oil, lemon essential oil and baking soda to jerseys, cleats and sports gear.
- Clean air – Diffuse cinnamon essential oil in the air because of it’s anti-microbial properties.
- Homemade peppermint patties – Use peppermint oil, coconut oil, dark chocolate and raw honey to make real peppermint treats.
- Washing machine – Add 10-20 drops of your favorite scent per load.
- Vacuum cleaner – Add 5-10 drops of your favorite oil in the vacuum bag.
- Homemade sunscreen – Mix coconut oil, zinc oxide, shea butter, helichrysum oil and lavender essential oil and store in squeeze bottle to make homemade toxic-free sunscreen.
- Eliminate shower curtain scum – Using a 16 ounce spray bottle, use 4 drops of eucalyptus essential oil and 4 drops of tea tree oil (melaleuca) with warm water and spray onto your shower for natural mold killing action.
- Clean burnt pans – Use lemon oil and boiling water to help remove burnt food from pots and pans.
- Wonderful smelling home – Diffuse clove, rosemary and orange essential oils when guests come over and they will talk about how amazing your house smells.
- Carpet cleaner – Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil with Borax for homemade carpet powder.Kill pests – Spray orange essential oil and clove oil to kill pests on contact.
- Lavender cake – Take coconut flour, raw honey, organic eggs and lavender essential oil and bake at 350.
- Eliminate mold – Add tea tree oil to diffuser to kill mold in air and other pathogens.
- Christmas scent – Add a drop of pine, sandalwood, or cedarwood oil on a fire log about 30 minutes before burning.
- Reduce anxiety – Diffuse lavender essential oil around home to reduce feelings of stress and tension.
- Spiritual enlightenment – Diffuse frankincense essential oil while praying, meditating or reading to increase spiritual awareness.
- Bathtub scrub – Mix ½ cup baking soda, ½ cup vinegar, and 5 drops of Bergamot or Lime oil. Use as a scrub for a sink or bathtub.
- Freshen trashcan – Put a cotton ball with 2 drops of lemon oil and tea tree oil at the bottom of the trashcan to help decrease the odor and detoxify.
- Wash produce – To clean fruit and vegetables, add 2 drops of lemon oil to a large bowl of water then wash.
- Clean kitchen smell– Add a few drops of clove, cinnamon, or citrus essential oil to a simmering pan of water to get rid of cooking odors.
- Bathroom freshener – Put a cotton ball soaked in lime or lemon oil behind the toilet for a bathroom refresher.
- Purify fridge – To freshen up the fridge or freezer when cleaning, add a few drops of lime, grapefruit, or bergamot oil to the rinsing water.
- Mint tea – Use peppermint essential oil in your favorite tea for a hint of mint.
- Eliminate smoke – To remove cigarette smoke, put 4 drops of rosemary, tea tree and eucalyptus oil in a spray bottle and spray around the house.
- Detoxify the air – Add peppermint and eucalyptus oil to a gallon of paint to dispel fumes.
- Get rid of shoe smell – To remove the smell from shoes add a few drops of tea tree oil and lemon oil to freshen them up.
- Bridal shower gift – For a cute bridal shower gift, create a “love potion” with essential oils. Use 20 drops of sandalwood, and 4 drops of cocoa, vanilla and rose oil to unscented lotion.
- Baby shower gift – give a wall diffuser with a lavender scent to calm the mom and baby.
- Flavored lemon water – Use 2-3 drops of lemon oil in water for a delicious citrus flavor.
- Cleaner dishes – Add a few drops of lemon oil to the dishwasher before washing for a spot-free rinse.
- Physician kit – Makeover your medicine cabinet and create a family physician kit with essential oils of: lavender, lemon, peppermint, tea tree, oregano and frankincense.
Essential Oil Uses For Spa and Relaxation
- Improve sleep – Lavender oil can alleviate insomnia. Sprinkle a few drops on your pillow to help you fall asleep.
- Body butter lotion – Mix coconut oil, shea butter, magnesium oil, and essential oils for moisturizing body lotion.
- Homemade lip balm – Combine coconut oil, beeswax and lavender oil for an amazing healing balm for chapped lips.
- Relieve tension – Help to relieve anxiety by using a single drop of lavender oil on your hands, rub together, and cup your hands to your nose and let the smell flood your senses.
- Massage therapy – Use a few drops of cedarwood or lavender oil, mixed with an unscented lotion during a relaxation massage.
- Immediate relaxation – Apply 2-4 drops of chamomile, lavender and peppermint essential oil to the temples for a cooling effect and immediate relaxation.
- Detox bath – Mix lavender oil, epsom salts and sea salt to a warm bath to cleanse and rejuvenate body.
- Sauna therapy – Add 2 drops of your favorite essential oil into 2 cups of water in a sauna.
- Calm upset child – Help sooth and calm children by adding lavender or chamomile to their stuffed animals.
- Foot bath – Add a few drops in a large bowl of warm water, lemon or eucalyptus oil work great.
- Improve depression – To boost mood and relieve depression, add rose oil to baths, inhalations, and diffusers to improve mood.
- Yoga and Pilates – To relax during yoga or meditation, inhale lavender or sandalwood before class. Also, mix clove and citrus essential oil to clean yoga mats.
- Mint chocolate cocoa – Add 2-3 drops of peppermint oil to hot cocoa for instant minty chocolate!
Essential Oil Uses For Skin and Beauty
- Reduce cellulite – Mix 5 drops of grapefruit essential oil with 2 tsp coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas.
- Natural perfume – Use 1-2 drops of jasmine essential oil on your wrist as a fresh natural fragrance. Women also like the smell of lavender and vanilla and for men’s cologne cypress and clove.
- Acne face wash – To get rid of acne make a homemade face wash by mixing tea tree oil (melaleuca) with raw honey and rub on face. Then rinse off with water.
- Freshen breath – Use a drop of peppermint essential oil for a natural way to freshen breath.
- Homemade shampoo – To make homemade shampoo mix lavender oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel and coconut milk. Use as you would regular shampoo. Lasts 2-4 weeks.
- Homemade deodorant – combine coconut oil, beeswax and your favorite essential oils like cedarwood and clove oil for men and lavender and tea tree oil for women.
- Sugar scrub – Mix a few drops of an essential oil with almond oil and rock salt or sugar to make your own salt or sugar scrub.
- Homemade toothpaste – Combine sea salt, baking soda, coconut oil, xylitol with peppermint essential oil to make homemade remineralizing toothpaste. Then brush.
- Body spray – Add 5-10 drops to 4 ounces of water and use as a fragrant body spray.
- Itchy scalp – Add lavender, cedarwood or basil to shampoo to reduce itch.
- Thicken hair – Add rosemary to shampoo to naturally thicken hair and increase volume.
- Strengthen nails – Mix 10 drops of frankincense, myrrh, and lemon into 2 tablespoons of vitamin E oil, rub on cuticles.
- Reduce wrinkles – Mix 3-5 drops of sandalwood, geranium, lavender, and frankincense with an unscented lotion and apply to face. Avoid applying to eyes.
- Teeth whitener – Combine lemon essential oil, coconut oil and fresh strawberries then rub on teeth. Rinse after 2 minutes.
- Cure dandruff – Mix 5 drops of rosemary and lavender to 3 tablespoons of unscented oil. Massage into scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo mixture out.
- Reduce stretch marks – mix 5 drops of frankincense, myrrh and grapefruit with coconut oil and apply to stretch marks.
- Facial scrub – Mix ¼ cup yogurt, ¼ cup cornmeal, and 5 drops of patchouli, grapefruit and lavender oil. Apply to face and wash off.
- Natural skin toner – Mix 8 ounces of water with 2 drops of lavender, geranium and frankincense.
- Deep hair conditioner – mix 15 drops of rosewood with 5 drops of sandalwood and lavender into unscented oil. Place mixture in a small plastic bag and dunk into warm water to heat up. Apply to hear and wrap for 20 minutes. Shampoo as usual.
- Reduce age spots – Put on frankincense essential oil 3x daily directly on skin to improve sun spots and age spots.
- For oily hair – mix 10 drops of ylang ylang, lime, and rosemary oil with 2 ounces of unscented oil. Massage it scalp 2-3 times per week. Wash out as usual.
- Heal dry cracked feet – Add 3 drops of lavender oil to 2 tbsp coconut oil. Apply to feet at night and put on socks.
- Relieve nausea – Smell peppermint oil to alleviate nausea, apply to neck and upper chest. Ginger and lavender may also help.
Essential Oil Remedies and Natural Medicine
- Migraine headache relief – Try combining a few drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil and apply to temples to help with headaches and migraines.
- Reduce cough or sinusitis – Eucalyptus oil is known for its powerful ability to fight coughs and open airways. Add a few drops into steaming hot water or diffuser. Inhale to help clear nasal passage.
- Repair broken bones – To support healing of broken bones apply helichrysum, fir and cypress essential oils.
- Heal burns – Mix lavender oil with aloe vera to treat burns.
- Soothe bug bites – Use lavender oil for bug bites and stings.
- Improve digestion – Take ginger oil, peppermint oil and fennel essential oil to support digestion and healing leaky gut.
- Bronchitis and asthma remedy – Make a homemade vapor rub by combing eucalyptus, peppermint and coconut oil. Rub on chest and neck.
- Treat bruises – Use essential oils as a hot compress to treat bruises or other wounds. Add 5 drops of lavender and 5 drops of frankincense to 4 oz hot water and soak. Apply to affected area.
- Improve concentration – Inhale bergamot, grapefruit or peppermint oil to increase concentration during the day.
- Sore feet soak – add 10 drops of peppermint oil with a tablespoon of Epson salt and add to a foot-bath with warm water.
- Reduce teeth grinding – Massage 1-3 drops of lavender on the bottom of the feet and behind ears before bed.
- Relieve PMS – mix 2 drops of sage, basil, and rosemary and apply to a warm, moist hand towel and apply to abdomen.
- Eczema and psoriasis cream – Treat eczema, psoriasis or red dry skin apply a mixture of lavender essential oil with shea butter.
- Improve circulation – Add 8-10 drops of grapefruit essential oil in warm bathwater.
- Relieve hangover symptoms – Add 6 drops each of juniper berry, cedarwood, grapefruit, lavender, rosemary, and lemon oil into a warm bath.
- Curb food cravings – Inhale peppermint oil and cinnamon oil to reduce your appetite and balance blood sugar.
- Energize your workout – Inhale peppermint oil before a workout to reduce fatigue.
- Reduce fever – Add 1-3 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender to a cool cloth and sponge the body.
- Relieve motion sickness – Use peppermint, lavender and ginger oil to reduce motion sickness.
- Arthritis relief – Mix 2 drops of wintergreen, cypress, and lemongrass into an unscented lotion. Massage into affected areas.
- Treat ringworm – Combine 3 drops of tea tree oil with coconut oil oil and massage over affected area twice per day.
- Head lice cure – Mix 3 drops of thyme, lavender, and eucalyptus oil with unscented oil and apply to scalp. Cover head with a shower cap and leave on for 30 minutes. Shampoo out.
- Heal blistered skin – Mix 2 drops of tea tree oil with 2 drops of unscented oil and apply to blistered area up to 5x per day.
- Soothe a sunburn – Combine lavender or chamomile oil with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and apply to skin with a cotton ball to reduce swelling and pain.
- Treat poison oak or poison ivy – Mix 3 drops of peppermint oil with unscented oil and apply to affected area.
- Lose weight – Combine grapefruit oil, ginger oil and cinnamon oil and take as supplement 3x daily to support metabolism.
- Boost immune system – Mix 1 drop of oregano oil with 4 drops of carrier oil and rub on the bottom of your feet before flying on a plane.
- Achy muscle rub – Mix eucalyptus, wintergreen and cypress with an unscented lotion or coconut oil and apply to muscles.
- Improve allergies – Rub frankincense and lavender on your palms and inhale deeply to relieve itchy eyes and throat.
- Kick a cold fast – Take 3 drops of oil of oregano and frankincense 3x daily for 1 week.
- Reduce back and neck pain – Combine peppermint oil, cypress oil, ginger oil, cayenne pepper and coconut oil for a homemade pain relieving muscle rub.
Article republished with permission: Article originally posted on HealthyHolisticLiving.com
About the Author
Michelle Toole is the founder and head editor of Healthy Holistic Living. This roll spawned from a health crisis over 14 years ago. Michelle went from marathon runner to bed ridden in what felt like overnight. Out of crisis came change, which at the time felt life ending but in retrospect was life fulfilling. Through this experience came the creation of healthy-holistic-living.com a site designed to share her experience and passion for holistic living and to support others who desire to create a shift in their lives. Learn all about her life’s inspiration and journey to health and wellness.