As we discussed in a previous article, to beat sugar addiction, first you’ll need to figure out which type of sugar addict you are. Consider this book as your road map to wellness. We include directions for your inner journey, a journey that will heal not only your body but also your mind and spirit. A journey that will change your life!
Different kinds of sugar addiction have different underlying causes and require different treatments. Here are the four key types of sugar addiction:
Type 1: The Energy Loan Shark
Chronically exhausted and hooked on quick hits of caffeine and sugar
Type 2: Feed Me Now or I’ll Kill You
When life’s stress has exhausted your adrenal glands
Type 3: The Happy Ho-Ho Hunter
Sugar cravings caused by yeast/candida overgrowth
Type 4: Depressed and Craving Carbs
Sugar cravings caused by your period, menopause, or andropause
Although the book has simple but more detailed quizzes to determine your sugar addiction type and tailor a health optimization protocol to your case, here is a simplified version for you to start with.
Quick Quiz— What’s Causing YOUR Sugar Addiction?
Type 1 Sugar Addiction.
- Do you feel tired much of the time? (20 points)
- Need coffee to get jumpstarted in the morning? (10 points)
- What is the average number of ounces of caffeinated coffee or soda or “energy drinks” you drink daily? (Score 2 points for each ounce.)
- Do you repeatedly crave sweets or caffeine for energy to get through the day? (25 points)
- Are you gaining weight? Or having trouble losing weight? (Score 1 point for every two pounds gained over the past three years.)
- 0–30: No problem. Skip to the next quiz.
- 31-50: You are treating your fatigue with sugar and caffeine—which are energy “Loan Sharks”.
- Over 50: You are a sugar and caffeine junkie. Learn how to restore your energy production naturally, so you can cut back on sugar and still feel great.
Use the SHINE Protocol (Sleep, Hormonal support, Infection control, Nutritional support, Exercise) to optimize your energy—naturally! Especially helpful? A unique sugar called ribose which is healthy and in two of our studies increased healthy energy an average of 60% after six weeks!
Type 2 Sugar Addicts
- Are you very irritable when hungry? Do you get a “Feed me now or I’ll kill you” feeling? (35 points)
- Is life a crisis to you? (15 points)
- Do you enjoy the rush of energy you feel when you are in a crisis? (15 points)
- 0–24: You are probably a type B “low-key” person with healthy adrenals.
- 25–34: You are developing early stages of adrenal fatigue.
- 35–65: This suggests moderate to severe adrenal exhaustion.
Type 3 Sugar Addicts
- Do you have chronic nasal congestion or sinusitis? (50 points)
- Spastic colon or irritable bowel syndrome? (gas, bloating, diarrhea or constipation)? (50 points)
- Have you taken antibiotics for any type of infection for more than two consecutive months, or shorter courses more than three times in a twelve-month period? (20 points)
- Have you been treated for acne with antibiotic pills for one month or longer? (50 points)
- Have you had recurrent fungal/yeast infections (including skin, pelvic, or nail)? (20 points)
- Do you have postnasal drip or clear your throat a lot? (20 points)
- Do you have food allergies? (20 points)
If your total is 50 or higher, you likely have a yeast/candida overgrowth .
Type 4- Sugar Addiction
- Do you have PMS? (30 points)
- Have you had a hysterectomy or ovarian surgery ( 30 points):
- Do you have decreased vaginal lubrication? (25 points)
- Do you have decreased sex drive (libido)? (15 points)
- In the week before and around your period (or in general if you no longer have periods), do you experience noticeably worse
- Insomnia? (15 points)
- Headaches? (15 points)
- Fatigue? (15 points)
- Hot flashes or sweats? (20 points)
- In men, do you have 2 or more of the following: decreased motivation or depression, erectile dysfunction, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol (score 30 points)
If you scored 30 or higher you likely have estrogen, progesterone, or testosterone deficiency.
In the next four articles, we will discuss each of the four types of sugar addiction, and how to make them go away!
Excerpted from The Complete Guide to Beating Sugar Addiction by Jacob Teitelbaum M.D.