Scars can be difficult to live with and embarrassing, especially if they in an exposed location on the body, such as hands or the face. So it is not surprising that so many people want to know how to remove scars naturally.
Scar typically is the result of an injury, such as a burn, cut, laceration, acne, incision due to surgery or stretch marks from pregnancy and significant weight changes. Here are some secrets how to remove scars naturally.
The best part is that you can do it safely in the comfort of your own home. And not only that these treatments work excellent to remove scars naturally but they’ll also make your skin look healthy and youthful.
9 Remedies To Remove Scars Naturally
1. Onion Extract/Gel
Onion extract contains several unique bioflavonoids, such as cepalin, quercetin, and kaempferol. This makes it an excellent natural option for scar removal. A lot of studies show that onion extract gel significantly improves scar appearance.
2. Coconut Oil and Shea Butter
If you experience an injury, such as a burn, cut, or laceration, keep the area covered and moist while it heals. You can use raw coconut oil or shea butter to keep the wound moist. This also helps prevent a scar or keeps a scar from getting too deep, large, or itchy.
The antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids in both coconut oil and shea butter have been shown to repair skin and inhibit keloid scar tissue. (1)
Simply apply coconut oil or shea butter to the skin two to three times daily. There is no need to wash it off since coconut oil and shea butter are both very beneficial for your skin.
3. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera benefits for skin conditions are long known ant they also include treating scars. Due to its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it boosts the healing process and helps regenerate the damaged tissues.
The best option is to use the fresh gel-like substance directly from the aloe vera leaf. You just need to peel the outer green cover and then directly apply the gel onto the affected area. Leave it for about 30 minutes or longer if possible. Because it dries quickly, you can even sleep with it. Repeat this procedure two or three times daily. It will give a nice glow to your skin, reduce wrinkles and what is best will make your acne scars diminish.
Note: Don’t apply aloe vera gel on open wounds.
4. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil is an antioxidant that can effectively help to remove scars naturally. It hydrates the skin; helps repair damaged tissue and improves the appearance of scars.
- Take vitamin E capsules and open them to get the oil.
- Apply the oil onto the scar and massage the area gently for 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for about 15 – 20 minutes,
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this several times a day.
5. Essential Oils: Helichrysum and Tea Tree
Tea tree oil has antiseptic, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties which make it an amazing natural remedy for treating scars. It works effectively as a natural acne treatment and also it is effective in healing acne scars. (2)
Helichrysum essential oil works in a similar way as tea tree oil. Because it is an antioxidant and because of its antibacterial properties it helps prevent and regenerate damaged skin.
- Take two to four drops of tea tree oil combined with 2 tablespoons of water or coconut oil and gently apply it onto the affected area. Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to 1 teaspoon of almond oil. Gently apply it on the scar and leave it on for 30 minutes. Wash it off with warm water. Use this remedy once a day.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a natural disinfectant and an astringent that makes an effective treatment for acne and acne scars. It can also heal different types of scars.
Try to use only raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar because it reduces the appearance of scars and promotes the growth of healthy skin cells. Here you can read more about why Only Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is Healthy!
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 1 teaspoon of honey;
- Apply this mixture to the skin or affected area using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse. You can repeat this 2-3 times a day.
- Mix equal amounts of water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Apply it on the scar with a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for 5 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
- Do this once a day.
7. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamin E, it moisturizes the skin and keeps it soft. Also, it promotes the healing of damaged skin. To get the best results use only extra-virgin olive oil.
- Apply some extra-virgin olive oil onto the scar and massage it gently. Leave it for 30 minutes, then wash it off. You can also leave it on your skin overnight.
Honey stimulates skin tissue regeneration and prevents accumulation of dead skin cells. It is an amazing natural moisturizer and works very effective as a natural scar removal treatment.
- Apply some raw honey on the scar
- Leave it on overnight covered with a bandage.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the procedure daily before going to bed.
Lemon has amazing healing properties due to its high content of alpha hydroxy acids. It can help treat scars of all types, promote the growth of new skin cells, remove dead skin cells, and improve skin elasticity. Additionally, its bleaching properties help lighten scars.
- Apply some lemon juice on the scar.
- If you have sensitive skin dilute the lemon juice with Vitamin E oil and rose water and then apply it on the scar.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Do this once daily.